Crosman 600 – File this under “Classic”

Monday, April 27, 2009

The left side of the Crosman 600, showing the built-in magazine just forward of the rear sight and the cocking slide just below the magazine.

For years I had been hearing about the Crosman 600 pistol, how neat it is, how it is a classic. I had seen pictures of the 600, and I had read rave reviews of them in the online forums, but I had never shot one until just the other day.

The good folks at Airguns of Arizona had picked up a 600 as part of a massive buy of vintage airguns. This particular 600 had some seal problems that needed to be sorted out. When the repair was completed, AoA asked me if I’d like to give it a try before it went on to its rightful owner.

Sure, I said, and a few days later Brown Santa delivered a box containing the Crosman 600. The 600 stretches about 9.l75 inches from muzzle to the end of the receiver and 5.5 inches from the top of the receiver to the bottom of the pistol grip. The sample I played with weighed 2 lbs 10 oz unloaded. The entire 600 is amazingly solidly constructed out of metal. The only plastic that I could detect are the target-style grips.

The 600 was introduced in 1960, and, according to DT Fletcher’s book, 75 Years of Crosman Airguns, was produced until 1970. A flyer or advertisement from 1960 reproduced in his book calls the 600 “the world’s most advanced pellet pistol. . . Revolutionary! . . . 10 shots in less than 3 seconds . . . with match target accuracy.”

It goes on to say: “Patented, fast, boltless Swing-Feed loading . . . Gun holds on target; no lag, no sticking, no jump . . . Top target accuracy.”

The built-in magazine with the slide back, reading for loading.

Having now shot the Crosman 600, I can only say that it lives up to the marketing material. To get it ready for shooting. Unscrew the cap on the end of the air tube under the muzzle. Insert a CO2 powerlet with the neck facing outward. Screw in the cap which has a piercing pin. Next, push the slide on the built in magazine all the way back and lock it in place. Carefully feed in 10 .22 caliber flat nose pellets (I used Beeman .22 H&N match wadcutter pellets) so that the head of pellet faces toward the muzzle. Release the magazine slide and pull back the cocking slide just below it until it latches.

The righthand side of the Crosman 600.

Now you’re good to go. Ease the first stage out of the trigger. Squeeze a bit more, and at 2 lbs 3 oz, the shot goes down range with a solid “Pop!” In the same instant, the action cycles, readying the next shot and cocking the action. Squeeze the trigger as fast as you like, and the pellets go effortlessly down range. This is quite simply the fastest, easiest rapid-fire air pistol I’ve ever shot. (Although, of the modern crop of repeater air pistols, the Beretta PX4 Storm acquits itself very well. I’ll be writing about it in another blog.)

The Crosman 600 truly is a classic. If you are luck enough to own one, take good care of it and enjoy it often, because it is absolutely a pleasure to shoot.

1. Steve says:

I have a 600 that my dad gave me when I was a boy and it needs some work to get back in shooting shape. Is there anybody in the Phoenix area that repairs/restores these guns?

Sorry, I don't know who repairs them in the Phoenix area, but you might try asking Airguns of Arizona who they might recommend.

3. Dggr2 says:

Ive got one, it was my fathers. Thanks for the info on it, I was guessing mid-70’s. It really is a nicely made gun, I need to take it apart and clean and oil it, so if anyone has any info on maintenance id really appreiciate it

how much is it worth? I like airguns but im better with a rifle than a pistol, although I love that the gun has adjustable sights. I’d be willing to sell it at the right price

4. Joe s says:

I have one that I purchased at a yard sale a few years ago and want to sell it. Anyone have a guess as to the value? It seems to be ib very good shape – with a holster. Thanks. Joe

Greg,

I have no idea what it might be worth, but maybe one of the other readers may know.

2. Douglas says:

I am not sure whether I am replying to the right person but I would be interested in buying the 600.

Douglas,

That particular gun is not for sale. Try one of the airgun classified (for sale) websites.

3. Tom Dokulil says:

Do you have a holster for a Crosman 600 pistol for sale? Thanks

5. John says:

Crosman put new seals in mine about 10 years ago. Probably need to contact them and see if they would still do repairs on a 600 and have parts.

Would like to purchase maybe three more for sons.

1. Erniejoe says:

Watch auctionarms & gunbroker! Be careful with crosman,I’ve heard they destroy the older guns(I dont know if this is true) and try to get you to buy a new one.Mac1 has a page dedicated to this pistol.

6. Joe s says:

I have a Croman 600 and a Beeman Tempest for sale along with holsters. and other related items – pouches, bb’s, etc. For pics and interest, e-mail me.

7. Joe s says:

Sorry – Crosman

8. jake says:

how much were you looking to get for the crosman 600?

Jake,

This gun is not for sale.

2. David Bernstein says:

Jake…you were asking how much Jock wanted for his Crossman 600. I’ve got one…like new. I’m the original owner. No box, though. It has the piercing pin. I understand that some of the older ones don’t have that. I haven’t used it for years. You interested?

9. Ernie says:

I own a Crosman 600 that I bought at a Sears store made for Sears in Ohio many years ago. Sadly, I dropped it and broke the rear sight. Is there one out there that I can use? The part # is 600-12. Did Crosman use this sight in other models? Or can I use an after market sight?
    Thanks,
    Ernie

Ernie,

I really have no clue, but ask the folks at Airguns of Arizona. If they don’t know where to get the part, I bet they can steer you in the right direction.

2. Erniejoe says:

Look up jgairguns on the web.They have the rear sight for the 600.They also have the cam rings now that have been unavailable for quite some time.They also have the seals if you need them.

1. Erniejoe says:

Forgot to tell you, when removing the rear sight ,be careful not to loose the spring loaded tiny ball that acts as a click stop for the sight adjustment! jgairguns has them also.

10. Jacktc99 says:

I have a crosman 600 that was given to me. It looks like it is in great shape but know nothing about it.

Jack,

If you read the blog, you know everything I know about Crosman 600s.

11. Jacktc99 says:

Ok smartass, then let me elaborate a little. It was given to me with no instructions or information on how to use the thing. I bought some CO2 cartridges for it and they slide somewhat freely in the chamber. I’m not sure how the cartridge gets punctured or would even keep from leaking gas. The end cap screws on but is hollowed out. Although your blog is helpful it doesn’t have all the answers and it seems like there is limited information on who can repair it or if there is a part I’m missing.

Jack,

Unfortunately, the gun I wrote about was a loaner, so I no longer have it to examine to try to answer your questions.

You might try asking on the Crosman forum: http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/

The folks there are very knowledgeable and helpful.

2. Erniejoe says:

You Probably have the first version of the 600-there was 3 of them.The first one had the co2 cylinder go in neck first and it was pierced by the valve on thefirst pull of the trigger.To some it is the most desirable because it is the most scarce.

12. Jacktc99 says:

anyone interested in buying my crosman 600. just had it fixed and all seals replaced. went to unscrew the cap to put a co2 canister in and unbenounced to me it had a partially filled one still in it from the repair shop. it just about took my head off as the co2 canister came ripping out of it. i’m done messing with this thing so if anyone is interested let me know
    jack scribner
    jacktc99@yahoo.com
    4192156511

13. Verdisw says:

Ive had my 600 for over 30 years now,.does any one know who does repairs now

14. howard nason says:

i have a crossman 600 in the original box with some ammo and a couple co2 cylinder(ammo is in metal cans, co2 is in old style box. anyone know who would like to buy this or collect them? can e mail pics.

1. Chris says:

Interesting in purchasing a working or non-working Crosman 600.

15. Chris says:

Looking to purchase a working or non-working Crosman 600.

1. Dave says:

I have a early Crosman 600 in excellent shape with very good box,powerlets, pellets and the tool that came with it. I would sell it.

1. Paul says:

Do you still have the 600?

2. Joe oden says:

I have a nice crossman 600 for sale. Are you still looking for one. I understand they are worth about $200. Joe oden. Joden02@gmail .com.

Joe,

The best place to offer this would be on the yellow forum classifieds.

16. Mrs. Shawn Logan says:

I just found a crosman in excellent shape in my dad’s garage (he passed away in 2005). I don’t know where he got it, but it is in the original box, with some round black plastic rings & a long black metal thing. How do I find out what year it is? I found the serial number. May be looking to sell.

Mrs. Logan,

Try the Crosman forum here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/

2. graeme says:

hi there do u still have the 600 for sale?

17. Jim Quinn says:

I have a 600 that developed a leak (cracked “O” ring on end cap (150-54). I found that it was a polyurethane “O” ring (9/16″ ID) I bought a pack of ten from MSC ($31 w S&H). I had used a silicon “O” ring and it worked great for about two cylinders before the cold gas caused it to elongate. The poly “O” ring has worked great. The gun had less than 50 cylinders fired through it when I got it (now up to 15 since I changed the rings.

18. Donnie says:

Hi there,
    Just wondering if anyone still has a Crosman 600 for sale?

Thanks!

Donnie,

One of the best places to look for a Crosman 600 would be here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/

19. Garlou says:

I have a 600 and found the some brands of pellets jam the gun. Any suggestions on the best ammo?

Garlou,

I’m sorry, I don’t have the answer to your question. I suggest you try asking your question on the yellow forum: http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

2. Wayne says:

The Crosman 600 requires the use of the flat nosed wad cutter pellets. The pointed ones will jam .

3. Wayne says:

1. pcp4me says:

My experience with these guns is they shoot and feed flat nosed wadcutters extremely well, but mine will not even feed chp at all!!

So you can try round nosed, but if they jam, you best move back to the wadcutter pellets.

20. Aldrin says:

I’ve had mine since 1987. Got lucky and purchased it from a gun dealer in Van Nuys, CA Pony Express, $20 in perfect cosmetic shape, except had an old seal. Had it repaired and a bit more modified. It’s one of my valued treasures. One fun and unique air pistol!

21. paul says:

i have a grosman air gun powermatic bb i believe the model number number is 600 (or it maybe 1600)
    when i put the cylinder in and turn the knob to push on the cylinder all the air comes out can you help

Paul,

I suggest you reach out on the Crosman forum — http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/ — to see who specializes in repairing that model.

22. DJ Dixon says:

Was given what looks like a P 600….
    nothing anywhere to indicate that it is. It matches all pictures I’ve seen.I can’t find anything else but a pat#. Only writing on the side is CO2 semi automatic.Canister is punctured from the cap.
    I have nothing else to go buy except for what I’m looking at on other forums. If this indeed a p600 its NOT for sale.
    Thx

23. Tom Dokulil says:

Anybody know where I can purchase a new or used holster for a Crosman 600 pistol?

1. NOVAir says:

Ebay sells several types of holsters for between $20-40.