Brocock Returns – Part II – The Grand Prix

Monday, November 30, 2009

In last week’s exciting episode, we found out how Brocock airguns had nearly been put out of business when the British government banned manufacturing, selling, purchasing, transferring or acquiring any air weapon using a self-contained gas cartridge system. The ban ripped away half of Brocock’s business. Even worse, it was the most profitable half of the firm’s business.

But Brocock didn’t take the blow lying down, and they took decisive action when they saw storm clouds headed their way. One of the most decisive steps was to hire the chief designer for now-defunct Falcon Pneumatics to create a new line of precharged pneumatic air rifles and pistols. The first of the new line was introduced in January, 2009, and has been met with better than anticipated demand.

It’s easy to understand why; I’ve been testing two samples from the new
Brocock line of airguns, and I think they are just terrific. This week, we’ll be taking a look at the Brocock Grand Prix.

The Brocock Grand Prix is a precharged air pistol. Stretching 15.5 inches long and weighing 2.8 lbs, it is available with and without sights. The sample that Airguns of Arizona sent me was the “sightless” version, but was fitted with a Hawke Red Dot sight which appears to be a notch above the quality of a lot of other red dots I have seen.

Let’s take a walk around the Grand Prix. It Grand Prix has an ambidextrous wooden “stock” with checkering on either side of the pistol grip. The rear of the stock overhangs the pistol grip by about an inch, so that the pistol nestles comfortably into the web between the shooter’s thumb and forefinger. While scarcely a match grip, the pistol grip is contoured nicely, including a lip at the bottom to support the shooter’s little finger, and I found that it felt very comfortable in my hand.

Moving forward, the trigger assembly is surrounded by a wooden trigger guard. Inside the trigger guard is the trigger assembly. The metal trigger is wide, slightly curved, and appears to be machined out of a single piece of metal. Just forward of the trigger guard is a single Allen head bolt that secures the receiver into the stock. Moving forward again, the forend is flattened, which allows the Grand Prix to be rested easily.

Ahead of that, you’ll find the air reservoir which has a screw-off metal cap. Under the cap is a male foster fitting for charging the air reservoir from a SCUBA tank or hand pump. Above that is the .22 cal. barrel. The muzzle has a screw-off fitting which reveals threads for fitting a silencer where legal.

Moving aft, you’ll find the metal receiver, which has an opening for the breech in the middle and dovetails for scope mounting fore and aft of the breech opening. On the right side of the rear section of the receiver, there is a lever, and at the very aft end of the receiver is a knurled knob. Overall, I found the fit and finish of the metal and the wood on the Grand Prix to be excellent and very appealing.

To ready the Grand Prix for shooting, remove the protective cap on the foster fitting and charge the reservoir to 200 bar/2900 psi. Press the lever at the rear of the receiver down, and the knurled knob springs backward, opening the breech. Pull the knurled knob backward until it clicks, and you have cocked the action. Insert a pellet into the breech, push the knob forward until it clicks to close the breech, and you’re good to go.

On my Lyman digital trigger gauge, it only took 11.4 ounces to ease the first stage out of the trigger on the Grand Prix. At 1 pound 7.5 ounces, the shot went off. I found the trigger to be crisp and predictable. With a 2,900 psi fill, the Grand Prix will deliver 35 shots. With JSB 15.9 gr. pellets, the high was 570 fps, the low 519, and the average 543, which works out to about 10.4 foot pounds.

I tried shooting the Grand Prix from a Creedmoor position at 13 yards with Crosman .22 Premier pellets, and I found that several times I put pellets in the same hole. When I can shoot that well with an air pistol with a red dot on it, that puts a smile on my face.

The bottom line: it looks to me like the Brocock folks have hit a home run with the Grand Prix.

1. Don Gruszka says:

Jock— Do the Brocock pistols have manometers?

No they don’t.

2. David Salisbury says:

Jack – What Cal. would be best for rabbit with the Brocock Grand Prix & at what distance would you limit your shots.

I rarely hunt, but my personal choice would be to go with the .22 and limit myself to about 20 yards until I had proven to myself that I could reliably deliver lethal shots beyond that range.

3. Michael Nager says:

Mr. Elliot,

I bought a Brocock Grand Prix yesterday in the “super six” multishot version and .177 calibre. Yours was one of the articles which decided me in favour of this pistol and I am very grateful to you for it.

I am not being facetious when I say, “Do not attempt to fire this weapon when you are intoxicated”. It has a very light trigger and above all, IT HAS NO SAFETY! Mixing shooting with this pistol and intoxication is a recipe for disaster.

That just about wraps up everything negative I could possibly say about my new pistol. A niggle I have with the pistol is that I would have preferred to have had the cocking lever on the left hand side of the pistol.

Until now I have been shooting my two Weihrauch HW45 pistols (.177 and .22) and the Brocock just makes it too easy with regard to almost pellet on pellet accuracy at 12 paces. In the UK we are limited to sub 6 ft-lbs with regard to pistols, but my Brocock just screams to be used at ranges beyond 15 yards. One thing however is that I keep on trying to put on and take off the safety with my right forefinger as I have become used to with my HW45 pistols 🙂

I am still getting used to the pistol and will not be shooting at ranges beyond 10 yards for the next few days. This may seem strange, but I think it is more important to get to know my weapon without really having to concentrate on the target. For instance I have to hold the pistol differently than the way I have become used to with my HW45 pistols.

I have the version of the Grand Prix with open sights and they are excellent.

One thing is weird; in the gunshop I got to handle the little brother of the Grand Prix, namely the Atomic, and although it is objectively lighter, subjectively it feels heavier than the Grand Prix. You have had the chance to handle both pistols and I would be interested to know if you had the same impression.

As I stated above, I credit my experience with the HW45 for my accuracy with the Brocock Grand Prix. It is easy to shoot and comfortable, at least for my hand. There is no recoil to be felt which is a bit disconcerting actually. I have one inch “Shoot-N-C” targets and after firing two clips (12 pellets) at 12 paces into one using RWS R10 Match pistol pellets (7.0 grains), there was a yellow hole and a black circle around it. Before anyone asks, no the pistol was not rested in any way and there was no wind.

This was another thing that I was concerned about before I got the pistol, namely that it might have difficulty loading wadcutter pellets from the magazine. That fear was completely unfounded.

I have found a use for the patches one gets for the the three inch “Shoot-N-C” targets. I am long sighted and I have to wear reading glasses. Thus when I am shooting with open sights I have the choice between the sights being in focus or the target, but not both.

As usual when I read Wikipedia I read one article, then I see a link to something else which I find interesting and eventually I am far away from my original search and a few hours have passed :).

On one such jaunt I ended up at an article about the “Camera Obscura” and inspired by this I wondered what would happen if I poked a small hole in one of the patches and stuck it to the inside of a pair of cheap reading glasses. Lo and behold – literally – when looking through the hole I had made in the patch both the sights AND the target were in focus. Of course it is a quite bit darker and this would be useless for shooting in the evening, but I cannot think of a cheaper, and above all else effective, shooting aid.

I get the reading glasses from what is known as “The Pound Shop”. So they cost me about $1.50 each. I have five of them all with different sized pin holes in the patches stuck to them.

Thanks for the update!