.25 Caliber Marauder

Monday, August 9, 2010

Back in 2004, I had an assignment from SHOT Business magazine to do a profile on Crosman Corporation. As part of putting that together, I had the opportunity to speak at length with Ken D’Arcy, CEO of Crosman.

When D’Arcy arrived at Crosman, the company had been coasting for eight years. Management had not brought a serious new product to market in years, and it was not looking for ways to reduce costs to remain competitive.

“The company was dead,” D’Arcy said. “It just didn’t know it yet. Like many companies that have been around for a long time, it had forgotten what drives the business. Consumer products companies are about just that–consumer products.”

“Clearly the answer is to bring new offerings to market that consumers will want to buy,” D’Arcy said. We’re a consumer products company. Our responsibility is to introduce new products. You become stale if you are only changing the cosmetic appearance of existing products.”

In some four decades of writing for a living, I’ve found that CEOs love saying stuff like “We’re taking the company in a bold new direction,” but it’s not so common for them to actually get it done.

But D’Arcy certainly appears to be making good on his promise. During his tenure at the top, Crosman has introduced dozens of new products including the Discovery rifle, which shattered the price floor for PCP rifles, and, last year, the Marauder PCP rifle which had all the goodies on most airgunners’ Christmas list: quiet, wickedly accurate, excellent trigger, repeater all for about $500.

Among the new products being introduced this year by Crosman is the .25 caliber Marauder. Outwardly the .25 cal Marauder is nearly identical to the .177 and .22 versions. It stretches 43 inches end to end and weighs 7.5 lbs. What’s really interesting is that this is, apparently, Crosman’s first venture into .25 caliber.

The new Marauder is equipped with a .25 barrel manufactured by Green Mountain. The slot in the breech for the magazine is deeper to accommodate the new 8-shot .25 cal rotary magazine, which in turn is deeper to make room for larger .25 pellets. Those are the major differences from the .177 and .22 Marauders. To accompany the new Marauder (and a new .25 cal gas ram rifle to be introduced later this year), Crosman is also introducing Benjamin .25 cal domed and pointed pellets.

I had the opportunity to shoot one of the very first production .25 caliber Marauders. It was my first experience shooting .25 caliber, and I didn’t know what to expect, but I was very quickly delighted. At 35 yards, shooting Benjamin .25 domed pellets, I was easily able to put five shots into a tiny group that you could cover with a dime. Even better, the report was remarkably quiet, and the trigger was well behaved (1 lb 10 oz first stage, 3 lb second stage).

Cliff Tharpe, producer of Airgun Hunting the California Ground Squirrel, has shot similarly tiny groups at 50 and 65 yards with his .25 Marauder, and he routinely hunts prairie dogs at 50-100 yards with it. He finds he can get 16 shots (two magazines) before he has to recharge the air reservoir. Shooting Kodiak pellets, his Marauder generates about 46 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle. He says of his Marauder: “I’ve got a lot of expensive shiny rifles, and when it comes to accuracy, this one shines with the best of them.”

In the end, the Marauder has a whole lot going for it for hunting and pest control: outstanding accuracy, enough power to deal with anything you might reasonably want to hunt with an air rifle, and a very neighbor-friendly report.

1. Joey says:

So its confirmed that the barrels are made by Green Mountain, lot of talk on forums. I have one and love it but the tolerance from the barrel to the slot in the magazine seems to be loose, no click when pushed in, did you notice that compared the the ohter marauders? I Check your blog all the time thanks.

Thanks for the kind words. I’m not sure what you mean by “no click when pushed in,” but the magazine and the accuracy were just fine for me.

1. Alex Morales says:

Hi Jack, the pellets keep getting jam ever since i bought my .25 marauder.
        I can not finish a clip without getting one jam.
        Do you know what might be the problem?

I suggest contacting customer service at Crosman.

2. DaveShooter says:

Joey is talking about the breech area where you place or remove mag from the marauder.The barrel can be slightly adjusted or shifted back ever so slightly to take up play or slop in that area. I did it on my 25 marauder, and it has a much more snug fit in reguards to mag to barrel to breech block area. Greg Davis also was ever so kind in helping me by phone with this issue as well or giving instructions on how to adjust. Also as well are post on yellowforum on how to adjust barrel to loose mag fit. It wasn’t hard at all to fix or adjust….

1. Joey says:

I did adjust the barrel back and it helped alot with the slop, but there is still no click or snap when inserting the mag, like the other marrauders, its just the snugness of the barrel to mag face fit. It seems there are tolerance issues in the magazine casting that need to be snuged up(the circular portion and little nubs that is supposed to make it “click into place. Maybe I will give crossman a call.

3. tackadittle says:

been waiting for a decent 25 cal to come on the market. cant wait to get one. american airgun companys are missing out on a huge market by not producing bigger calibers like 32. 9mm, and 308. we hunters are geared up on big cals and hy-power. fire arms buyers may turn there head and buy more airguns. thats the market they need to push.

4. Darrell vaughan says:

can u shoot out to 35 to 40 yards hold the cross hair dead on target

Of course, if that is where you zero the scope.

5. Darrell vaughan says:

what fps you get with a 27gr pellets

Sorry, I don’t have that data. Cliff Tharpe gets around 825 fps with 30.30 gr. pellets with his unmodified .25 Marauder.

6. Mike says:

I was going to buy a .22 Marauder. but, now that I had a chance to read all of your comments about the .25 Marauder, I think that everything that I have read seems like the .25 has what I am looking for in an air rifle, and also the concern about sound issues because of neighbors. I do not have a lot of experience in repairing air gun, but it seems that this gun out of the box will perform very well for me, at lease it seems that way from what I am reading from all of your comments.
    Thanks again for all of your views points.

Thanks for the kind words. I think you will be pleased with the .25 Marauder. It delivers a lot of performance for the money and is commendably quiet.

7. Darrell vaughan says:

was going get the 22marauder but i think the 25cal wil be best .Do the maruder have a brake in priod ,if you not going shoot the gun for a day or two do u have to turn the air out,one more think have u hear of any of this gun air leaks.

I did not experience a break in period. The .25 Marauder that I tested shot great immediately out of the box.

8. Darrell Vaughan says:

What you think about the sumatra 2500 air gun an the 909s big bore i have order one in 22cal are they good as they say they are .Do you have any info about this guns

Here is everything I know about the Sumatra, which I tested back in 2003:

The Eun Jin Sumatra

The Eun Jin Sumatra is a Korean air rifle produced by same people who manufacture Eun Jin heavyweight airgun pellets. If you think the Sumatra looks a whole lot like the Career 707, it does. I haven’t been able to determine if the Sumatra manufacturer is a spin-off from the Career manufacturer or whether one entrepreneur is simply “borrowing” from another’s successful design. (I understand this is a time-honored tradition in Korea.)

The Sumatra is 42.5 inches long and weighs 8 pounds. At the end of the unremarkable ambidextrous wooden stock is a rubber butt pad. Underneath the receiver is a black metal cocking lever with gold colored trigger and safety. Just forward of that, there is a three-position adjustable power wheel. Moving forward again, you’ll find a wooden forestock with a gauge that shows how much air is left is the two black air storage cylinders beneath the barrel.

At the end of the lower air storage cylinder is a filling probe port for charging the Sumatra from a SCUBA tank or high pressure air pump. At the muzzle end of the barrel is a hooded adjustable front sight.

The silver colored receiver has a cast hunting scene on either side panel. On top of the receiver is a 3.5-inch scope rail. At the rear of the scope rail is a flip-up two-position peep sight, and at the forward end of the scope rail is the breech.

Pull the cocking lever down and a six-shot rotary magazine can be popped out of the breech. The magazine can accept virtually any length pellet that you would care to load into it – from relatively light, short American pellets, to the heavy (30-plus grain) Korean pellets. The advantage of the rotary magazine setup is that, unlike the Career, you can mix pellets to your heart’s content without having to adjust the pellet stop. In addition, the outside of the magazine has numbers next to each of the chambers, so you can keep track of where you are in the firing cycle. And unlike the AR6 airgun, which has a similar rotary magazine, the Sumatra has a probe that slides the pellet into the rifling when you close the lever. This eliminates the accuracy-zapping indexing problems inherent to most revolvers.

The Sumatra is a big, hairy, powerful hunting airgun. On a full charge, and the lowest power setting, it sent 14.3 grain Crosman premier pellets downrange at 1020 fps. That’s flirting with the sound barrier and over 33 foot-pounds of energy. Want to shoot woodchucks at 50 to 100 yards? The Sumatra will do it and then some, and it has the accuracy to get the job done.

But all that power comes at a price. The Sumatra is also the loudest airgun I’ve ever tested – and that was at the lowest power setting! I never did test the two highest power settings – I chickened out. I figured my suburban neighbors would call the police; I’d be carted way and never get to finish this story (Further, I don’t look good in gray). The bottom line: there is a lot to like about the Sumatra (power, flexibility, and accuracy), but it is definitely a country gun.

9. Darrell says:

how would the 25cal maruder do on small game like squierrl cause they are tought to kill when not hit in the head do the maruder 25cal shoot like the sumatra 25cal.

the .25 Marauder would certainly kill squirrels. I imagine the .25 Marauder is comparable to the Sumatra .25, but the Marauder would be much quieter.

2. Ray says:

there is a U tube video of this gun blowing a squirrel in half so yes Its more or less overkill be ready with a mop

10. Darrerll vVaughan says:

I just get the 25cal maruder and man this gun is not loud at all i thought the gun need to be turn up again what the deai on the adjusting the hammer spring going squerril hunt in the morn to c what it will do

The .25 Marauder makes plenty of power for squirrel hunting just as it comes from the factory. I suggest shooting it a while before you decide to make any changes. Then I would consult the Crosman forum for info on adjustments.

11. Darrerll vVaughan says:

When hunt with the maruder to day this gun knots the squirrel right down it is accuary i glad i get this gun in a 25cal this thing is bad this gun going do goo doing deer seanson what u think about the new big bore that crosman come out with the 357

The new big bore from Crosman sounds like an interesting concept. I won’t have an opinion on it until I see one.

12. Darrerll vVaughan says:

i just grt the maruder in 25cal when i pump the gun up to where i want it an i disconect the line the air come out the hold where you put the line on could you tall me how to fix itor just sent the gun back for another on an i always pump it to 2700 or 2800 psi

Be sure to release the bleed valve on the pump before you disconnect the hose. Contact Crosman for a repair if that doesn’t work.

13. Darrerll vVaughan says:

I sent the maruder 25cal back an they sent me another one an this one look better than the first one this gun is every thing a hunter want glad i get the 25cal i order it from sportman guide an this gun is not lond you cant hear it alt all an man this gun is accury as can be i am going get the 177cal next what i need to make the sumatra sound quit what they pec cal that go on the end of the barrell o where can i get one of those color stock for the maruder

Darrerll vVaughan,

Sorry, I don’t know where you can get a colored stock for the Marauder.

14. Darrerll vVaughan says:

i was just mes around doing some shoot an at 40 yards i can hold dead on i shoot 20gr h&n pellects this 25cal maruder is good shoot throw a 1/2 inch bord so my next gun will be the maruder pistor will it kill a squierrl at 35yards

15. Darrell says:

have u hear of the sam yang big bore dragon claw 50cal air gun if so can u tell if it will be good for deer out to 60yards an do you have eny info on that gun thanks

Sorry, I don’t have any experience with that air rifle.

16. James says:

So, are you sure the barrels are made by Green mountain?, where did you get the info?,

If I remember correctly (it’s been a while since I wrote that blog), the Crosman people told me that. Whether they are still sourcing their barrels from Green Mountain, I don’t know.