First look at the new Gamo Socom™ Extreme .25 caliber

Monday, November 8, 2010

As part of my recent project involving .25 springers, Gamo sent me a sample of their .25 caliber Hunter Extreme. When I had a question about the rifle, I called GamoUSA, they said, “Wait – don’t test the Hunter Extreme, we’re going to be phasing that out. Instead, test the new model, the Socom Extreme in .25 caliber. We’re going to be introducing it January 1, 2011, but you can post a ‘first look’ on your blog.”

A few days later, a long slim package arrived at El Rancho Elliott, and a long, powerful air rifle emerged.

The Gamo Socom Extreme stretches 45.5 inches from end to end and weighs 9 lb 13 oz with its 3-9 x 50 scope (included) mounted. The Extreme .25 has an ambidextrous all-weather synthetic stock that is covered with a fine ‘pebbly” surface for easier gripping. At the extreme aft end is a soft rubber ventilated butt pad. Moving forward, the butt stock has a cheek piece on either side. The pistol grip is nearly vertical, and the trigger guard, which surrounds a metal trigger and push-pull safety, is formed of the same material as the stock. Above the trigger, on the left side of the receiver, the words “Socom Extreme” are printed on the side of the stock. Just ahead of the trigger there is a large screw that, in concert with two others on either side of the forestock, secures the action in the stock.

The Socom .25 has a bull barrel and comes with the scope pre-mounted on a one-piece mount. The utility of the Socom Extreme .25 is hampered somewhat by the scope having a non-adjustable objective. As a result, in order to get a clear view of the target at 20 yards, I had to reduce the magnification to the lowest level, 3X.

Cocking effort is 58 lbs, the highest of the .25 caliber break barrel rifles I have tested, and, typical of spring-piston actions, you can hear some spring noise while cocking. At 1 lb 14.8 oz, the first stage came out of the trigger on the sample I tested, and at 4 lb 10 oz, the shot goes down range with a bang. While the trigger is stiffer than I would prefer, I don’t think it interferes with accurate shooting, and it may lighten up and smooth out with repeated use. Nevertheless, after the 1-year warranty period is over, if the trigger is still not to your satisfaction, I suggestion installing one of the aftermarket triggers that are currently available. Airguns of Arizona should be able to advise you on which one to select              .

The Socom .25 is the most powerful break barrel .25 rifle I have tested. It launches 21.91 gr Gamo Pro Magnum pellets at 742 fps average. That works out to 26.79 fp of energy at the muzzle. So while the Socom Extreme has the highest cocking effort, the reward for the shooter is that it also delivers the most power. I found I got the best accuracy results – about half-inch edge-to-edge at 20 yards, with JSB Exact King pellets.

If you want a self-contained air rifle that is suitable for dealing with pest wildlife or for hunting at short to medium range, the Gamo Socom Extreme delivers a boatload of power and then some.

- Jock Elliott

m4s0n501

1. Darrell vaughan says:

for small game hunt do think a 25cal will kill better than a 22cal use the same power plant like rhe maruder dont no which cal to get need some help

At the same velocity, a .25 will deliver more power to the target than a .22 because the pellets are heavier.

If you already have the .25 Benjamin Trail, you might as well get the .25 Marauder, which can shoot the same pellets.

I have not shot the .22 Marauder.

1. Leonard Diebold says:

The Marauder with the right pellets will deliver a five shot group that will make one hole at 40 yards. It will take a squirrel with ease, and is a real pleasure to shoot. Takes a little effort to pump up but will shoot two magazines at near full power.
        Biggest complaint is that it is a little heavy. In a way though, this is a help when it comes to off hand shooting. Everything considered, would not take my money back with a profit.

Thanks for allowing me to express my opinion,
        Leonard Diebold

2. Leonard Diebold says:

The Marauder is a 25 and with the right pellets will deliver a five shot group that will make one hole at 40 yards. It will take a squirrel with ease, and is a real pleasure to shoot. Takes a little effort to pump up but will shoot two magazines at near full power.

Thanks for allowing me to express my opinion,
    Leonard Diebold

3. john says:

how does this gun compare to a .25 patriot or kodiak?

John,

I have never shot a .25 Patriot or Kodiak, so I can’t tell you. Sorry.

4. frank bybee says:

Can you tell me how does the marauder compare to the air force condor in 25 ca as far as acuracy is concerned? And how acurate is it out to 75 yards ?

Frank,

Unfortunately, I can’t help you. I haven’t done the comparison between the .25 Condor and .25 Marauder. I know that Cliff Tharpe gets very tight groups with his Marauder at 65 yards.

5. Ray says:

what I find odd about this rifle is that the .177 versian of this rifle can put out about 33ft pounds with 10.5 gram crossman heavys and 32ft pounds with the 5.4 gold raptors shouldent that be the other way around? just wondering

Ray,

To be honest, I don’t know the answer to your question, since I haven’t played with the .177 version of this rifle. However, I did test the .177 version of the Hunter Extreme for Airgun Hobby magazine, and here are a couple of paragraphs about performance:

The main thing I was wondering about was the how the Raptor pellets would behave in the Hunter Extreme. Velocities – which were loudly supersonic — ranged from 1477 to 1525, averaging 1491 (this isn’t the 1600 fps that Gamo promised, perhaps because we were keeping the chronograph a couple of feet from the muzzle), but the accuracy simply wasn’t there. Group size at 50 yards was 3.5 to 5 inches, depending upon whether you called one shot a shooter-produced “flyer” or not. That’s the bad news.

But there is, indeed, good news. The Hunter Extreme “liked” Crosman Premier 10.5 gr. Heavies (CPHs, for short). After dieseling for a couple of shots, it settled down, launching them at around 1021 fps, average (high was 1026, low was 1015). That’s over 24 foot-pounds of energy. Our first 5-shot group measured just 1.25 inches edge to edge. We were elated. In my view, any time you get groups below 1.5 inches with a springer at 50 yards, you’re doing well. So we tried other pellets, but none did nearly as well as the CPHs.

6. Ray Moody says:

A well-tuned Webley Patriot/Kodiak in .25 should do at least 29+fpe with 20+gr FTS/FTTs and often much more if Chris or C.A.P. does the tuning. Either way you have a smoother, easier to cock, more powerful gun with a somewhat archaic trigger which is not a true two-stage. It also “feels” lighter and is easier to handle.

A tuned Hunter Extreme/1250 is smoother and more pleasant to shoot but extracting additional power is very difficult without resorting to radical, irreversable surgery. It’s a good hunter and excels in .22 and .25. And as Jock mentioned, AoA has the trigger solution the gun deserves. Get a sling also as it’s a load.

Ray,

Thanks for your comments!

7. Rod Hill says:

Hi I have a SOCOM 1250 and the trigger weight is still way to heavy and causing inaccurate groupings. Is there a replacement trigger that is lighter and what is the cost. love the rifle otherwise. Cheers Rod

Rod,

This trigger http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/CustomParts.htm is designed to fit the current Gamo production breakbarrel rifles. Contact http://www.airgunsofarizona.com for price and availability.