The Tackdriving RWS 34 Meisterschutze Pro Compact

Monday, December 20, 2010

The RWS Meisterschutze Pro Compact is downright sleek in its appearance.

I woke up one morning a few weeks ago with the realization that I had never shot one of the air rifles that so many airgunners purchase as their first “quality” air rifle: the RWS 34. A while ago, I had a neighbor who simply loved to hunt with his RWS 34, but I never got to shoot it, and he has since moved away.

So I asked the folks at umarexusa to send me a sample of the 34 Meisterschutze Pro Compact (MPC) in .177 caliber. It comes with a RWS one-piece “drooper” scope mount, an RWS 3-9x40AO rifle scope and a muzzlebrake. When I pulled it from the box, I was immediately impressed by its businesslike appearance.

There is no cheek piece on either side of the MPC's butt stock.

The long, slim hardwood stock is completely unadorned by any checkering or decoration of any sort. At the end of the stock is a rubber butt pad attached to the stock by a black spacer. There is no cheek piece on either side of the butt stock, making the design completely ambidextrous, and there is only a slight rise in the comb. Forward of the pistol grip is a black plastic trigger guard surrounding a black plastic trigger that is adjustable for first stage travel.

THE MPC is equipped with a substantial muzzlebrake, apparently the same one used on the TH 56.

Forward of that, the forestock reaches out to cover the breech block and cocking linkage. Beyond that is the barrel on which is mount a substantial muzzlebrake. The appeared to be the same muzzlebrake that was mounted on the very accurate RWS 56 TH that I had tested some time ago. The breech block on this model is not designed to take a rear sight but instead has fine horizontal lines molded into it. The receiver is finished in a matte black that appears to match the scope and scope mount. At the aft end of the receiver, there is the familiar push-pull RWS safety which is resettable.

The RWS one-piece scope mount fits exactly over the dovetail on the receiver and provides compensation for barrel droop.

Mounting the scope was straightforward. The one-piece mount fits the RWS dovetails exactly and has two anti-recoil pins that drop into corresponding holes on the receiver. The only trick is to make sure that the arrow on the drooper mount is pointing toward the muzzle. With the scope mounted, the MPC weighs 9 lbs. 12 oz.

To ready the MPC for shooting, grab the muzzlebrake, pull it down and back until it latches. Stuff a pellet into the breech end of the barrel and return the barrel to its original position. I estimate the cocking effort to be in the mid-30s, perhaps 36-37 lbs. Next, take aim at the target, flick off the safety, and squeeze the trigger. The first stage requires only 1 lb. 9.8 oz., and at 2 lbs. 10.8 oz., the shot goes downrange. The RWS 34 Pro Compact launches 8.44 gr. JSB Exact pellets at about 840 fps, which works out to 13.22 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle.

When it came time to test the MPC for accuracy, that’s when life got interesting. As I so often do, as soon as I mounted the scope, I grabbed the MPC, some Crosman Premier 7.9 gr. pellets and went outside to bang off a few shots at 13 yards from a sitting position. My first group measured just .375 inch edge to edge. Not bad, I thought.

A couple of days later, shooting off a rest at 32 yards, the groups opened up tremendously to well over an inch. Then the gun began throwing flyers – a .75 inch group with a flyer 1.5 inches away. I was just starting to work my way through some alternative pellets when I heard a rattle as I cocked the gun. Investigating further, I found that the muzzlebrake was loose.

With the muzzlebrake tightened, the MPC delivered this very satisfying group at 32 yards.

I loosened the end cap on the muzzlebrake, tightened the two grub screws underneath the muzzlebrake that clamp to the barrel, then screwed the end cap in tight. The next group, shot with JSB .177 Exact pellets, was magic: just .5 inch edge to edge at 32 yards, making the MPC one of the most accurate break barrel air rifles I have shot in a long, long time.

The bottom line is that the MPC is an air rifle that does a lot of things well. It has a decent trigger, makes reasonable power, and delivers excellent accuracy. With this air rifle, you could hunt, plink, or shoot hunter class field target and all at a very reasonable price.

I give the 34 Meisterschutze Pro Compact my highest personal recommendation.

1. Conor says:

That last picture is quite impressive!!!

Merry Christmas,

2. Bob Todrick says:

Jock…wishing you a very merry Christmas and a great New Year.
    A Canadian fan.

Right back at you, Bob!

3. Alexander says:

Just found this blog – very interesting reviews!

Some additional info on RWS-34: from the middle of 2010 they come with a new trigger – called T-06. The trigger itself is metal and adjustable in 3 ways: 1st stage length, 2nd stage length and pull force. People sayd it is very close to weirauch’s “record” trigger.
    The rifle shoots exactly the same as in this review and in many other reviews in terms of power and accuracy.

Thanks for your comments and the kind words!

4. Michael S Allison says:

G’day Jock!

I’ve the very same gun. I’ve ran into the same problems with the muzzlebrake. It took me forever to figure out why my groups had grown so large, when they were previously spot on. I took off the m.b. and inspected the crown….it was a terrible sight, metal burrs where a crown should be been. I performed a very nice crown job (if I do say so myself) and it was back on track. I put blue Lok-tite on the screws, and have had no more problems in this regard.

It was very dry internally, you could hear the piston creak when cocked. With a Vortek kit installed, a slight compression tube hone, moly applied in the right spots, it’s a very smooth shooter now. Love the blog, keep it up.

Thanks for your comment. In my case, simply tightening the muzzle brake did the trick.

Thanks for the kind words!

5. Rick says:

I agree its superb and is now my regular hunter but i cut the stock forend back to how they were in the 80s….looks even better. I was never quite sure about the overly long forend or the exceptionally long slot. Cuting and reblending cured both in one go.

Glad you like it!

6. Paul Canting says:

My friend:

First of all I want to thank you again for all the help provided. Second, I really like this rifle, after your recommendation while talking to a friend, he told me that he knows a shooter that have this rifle with a composite stock and he agree to let me shoot a few round with it.

In fact, I don’t know why, but with the composite stock the rifle appears a bit heavier than the one with the wood stock….

Anyway my friend, I’ll let you know letter…

Paul Roger

I’m glad to be of help.

7. Paul Canting says:

Hi Jock:

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving Day, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for you and for all the friends readers here in the Blog….!!!

Jock, I test drive the rifle and I fall in love with it, I think I’m going to buy one with the wood stock but I would like to here your opinion on the following. I have another friend that have a Beeman HW97K “Blue” which is an underlever rifle, I was told that for Hunter Field Target or Filed Target is better idea a underlever or sidelever rifle.

If you compare these two alternatives for a field target / hunter field target rifle what you think could be a better idea taking into consideration the fact that you are recommending the “The RWS 34 Meisterschutze Pro Compact” for Hunter Class in the Field Target.

If there is any big disadvantage by using de RWS 34 Pro compact agaist the HW97K Blue?, can I change the spring and piston of the 34 in order to turn the rifle in a more steady in terms of velocity and FPE?

Last, the scope that comes with this rifle (The RWS 34 Meisterschutze Pro Compact) is a RWS 3-9 X 40AO, does this scope is mil-dot scope?, for practice the sport do I need a mil-dot scope or can I stay with the one that comes with the rifle? and the Scoupe mount which is a RWS, do you think it will hold the scope in place? taking into consideration that the rings only have one screw at each side?, I’m asking you because the one that I test from my friend, hr purchased the rifle used, 2nd hand and it came with a Leapers droop compensator mount and with a Leapers 5th Gen 3-12x40AO Rifle Scope, III Mil-Dot Reticle.

Once again I want to thank you in advanced for all your help and expert advise. My msg and questions are directed to you but anyone who wants to give me their opinion and advisee is more than welcome. BTW sorry for my poor English….ji,ji,ji….lol….!!!

Friends, Happy Thanks Giving Day God Bless You all and your families as well…!!!

Paul Roger

If you go with the Meisterschutze Pro Compact, you get the gun, scope and mounts all in one package for a minimal out-of-pocket investment. The scope is NOT mil-dot, and you will suffer some small disadvantage shooting a lower power scope, but you’ll get to try the sport of field target at a failrly low cost (presuming, of course, that the local club offers Hunter Class.)

An underlever or sidelever gun never breaks the barrel for loading, so that means the muzzle always stays in the same relationship with the receiver. That’s why most spring-piston FT shooters choose underlever or sidelever air rifles: they are concerned that the constant breaking of the barrel (and returning it to its original position) might result in a misalignment between the muzzle and the receiver, causing inaccuracy. If you want to make sure that never happens, buy an underlever or sidelever air rifle, but you will pay more for them than most break barrels. If you are willing to spend the money, an HW97, an RWS 54 or a Diana TH56 is an excellent choice for spring-piston field target. For Hunter Class Field target, I usually shoot a non-breakbarrel rifle with a 12 power mil-dot scope.

1. Paul Canting says:

Thanks Jock…….

8. Bob Pham says:

Hi Jack: Also, your evaluation on the RWS Model 34 P, I was not able to find the same rifle match the picture you posted! Is it the RWS 34 Panter?
    Thanks Jack…

Yes the 34 P is the Panther.

9. Bob Pham says:

Hi Jack.
    The RWS 34 Compact Pro has a barrel 4″ shorter than the regular 34, tell me how loud it is and how much fps it lost comparing with tthe regular RWS 34?

Since it is a springer, I don’t think you give up any velocity having the shorter barrel. It is about as loud as an average springer, which is by no means dead quiet, but probably no louder than someone dropping a pen on a hardwood floor.

1. Bob Pham says:

Thanks Jack…

10. Dwight Shrute says:

What size allen wrench do you need to tighten the muzzle brake?

Unfortunately, I don’t remember, and I no longer have the gun here. But it is small and metric.

11. Dario Bisogno says:

I have this marvel but i would like to replace the but stock any suggestion? thanks Jack

Sorry, I don’t have any suggestions for ready-made replacements. You might search for “airgun custom stock makers” on the Internet.

12. Dario says:

OK tnx Jock..

13. Dario says:

This gun should be elected gun of the Year!!!!..

14. robert says:

in your opinion what is the difference between the rws pro compact and the regular rws 34 ? im buying me one of these two air rifles for Christmas and i want to choose the best one. thank’s, robert. and merry Christmas

The Pro Compact, if I recall correctly, has the muzzle weight and scope. If you ever want to use peep sights, the regular RWS 34 is your best bet.

15. robert says:

i almost forgot to tell you that i will be purchasing my rws 34 rifle in .22 cal. and will be shooting targets as far away as the air gun can shoot accurately. i own the benjamin jim shockey legacy nitro piston air rifle in .22 cal and it groups inside a 1.5″ at thirty five yards. i would suggest this rifle to anybody as a quality shooter. im hoping the rws will exceed my current air rifle. thank’s, robert

16. John says:

I recently got the 34 MPC as my first adult air rifle. I’ve been a long time centerfire shooter and was aware of the differences coming over to a spring air system. Out of the box with cheap 7.9gr pellets, I’m able to shoot groups that can be covered by nickles and pennies (no dimes yet) at 30yds. That is with only about 75 pellets down the tube also.

I’m pretty impressed with the build quality of this rifle. The trigger is amazing, much more than I was expecting from a $300 package rifle.

The action screws were a tad loose out of box so I tightened them and have not come loose yet. The little set screws on the muzzle are another story. They come loose after 5 shots. I can tell when I get a flier. I just remedied that hopefully but removing them one at a time, cleaning them with acetone, and applying some blue loctite (it’s setting up right now).

So far it’s been a great entry experience into airguns. I have a Vortek kit on order and plan to add a buttpad to give me a longer length of pull as I have a 14.5″ LOP so a bit cramped on the stock as it comes from factory.