The outstanding Marauder Pistol – Part I

Monday, January 31, 2011

The Marauder Pistol comes complete with a plastic shoulder stock to turn it into a carbine.

I am convinced that the new Benjamin Marauder Pistol will shoot little tiny groups at 35 yards. I have pretty good evidence that it will, but I can’t prove it.

Why?

Because I breathed. Before we get into why breathing messed up a sizzling hot group, let’s start at the beginning.

The nice folks at Crosman sent me a sample of the new Benjamin Marauder Pistol for evaluation. There are a lot of things I like about this pistol, starting with the packaging. As you can see from the three picture below, the gang at Crosman has designed the packaging so the pistol will arrive in excellence condition.

The Marauder Pistol (known on the Internet by the shorthand P-rod), is an eight-shot, bolt-action .22 caliber pistol. It stretches 18 inches end to end and weighs 2.7 lbs. It is equipped with an 8-shot self-indexing magazine and a 12-inch choked and shrouded barrel. It also comes with a plastic shoulder stock that, when the pistol grips are removed and the stock mounted, turns the P-rod into a slick little carbine that measures just 30.25 inches stem to stern. Even with a Hawke 10X tactical scope mounted, the P-rod carbine weighs only 5 lbs, 12 oz.

Let’s take a tour of the P-rod. At the back, the ambidextrous black plastic pistol grips are textured a bit for better gripping and are marked with a “B” for Benjamin. There is a screw on either side of the grips. Undo these screws, the grips come off, and the shoulder stock slips on. Re-attach the screws to keep the shoulder stock securely in place.

Just ahead of the pistol grips is a black metal trigger guard that is part of the pistol frame. Inside the trigger guard is a black metal trigger that is adjustable for weight, first stage, second stage, and overtravel. The trigger can also be adjusted to become a single-stage trigger. A push-button safety sits between the trigger and the grips. When the red stripe is showing, the trigger is set to fire.

Ahead of the trigger assembly is a black plastic forestock, which has an inset for a pressure gauge. Beyond the end of the forestock is the air reservoir. It has a black plastic cap snaps off to reveal a male foster fitting for filling the reservoir up to a maximum of 3,000 psi.

Above the air reservoir is the .22 caliber shrouded barrel, the aft end of which is connected to the P-rod’s receiver. The black metal receiver is inscribed on the right hand side with “Marauder” in white scrip just the rear of the breech and has dovetails for mounting a scope along the full length of the receiver. At the extreme back end of the receiver, you’ll find the bolt handle which is set up at the factory to work from the right hand side but can be switched to the left hand side if the shooter prefers. Below the bolt handle is a port through which fill pressures and velocities can be adjusted by changing hammer spring pre-load and stroke.

Next time, we’ll look at the performance of the Marauder Pistol.

Til then, aim true and shoot straight.

1. Russ Novotny says:

You sold me. I had been considering the Prod. Ilike my Marauder but want something light weight in 22. I will order one when they are available.

Russ,

I wasn’t trying to sell you, but just offering my honest assessment. Nevertheless, I think that you and a lot of airgunners will enjoy the Marauder pistol. Thanks for your feedback!

2. Darrerll vVaughan says:

is this air pistor real as accury as the maruder air rifles an do it have the power to take out squierrll at 35yards

Darrell,

I haven’t proven that the Marauder pistol is as accurate as the Marauder rifle, but it has the accuracy and power to hunt squirrels at 30-35 yards.

3. Darrerll vVaughan says:

i an think about get the maruder pistor i have the 25cal rifle an i love every thing about it so next i want the pistor for hunt squierrl wild i hunt deer so ast 35yards it will kill rabbits at that distand is it quite like the maruder rifles

4. John F Kuba says:

Dear Mr Elliott,

A month and a half ago I was on Crosman’s web site and sent in some suggestions to improve their Marauder Pistol, and since then I have called them to try and get some feedback on my ideas. No response as yet. Although I plan on buying one anyway, I thought the suggestions I made for the Marauder Pistol were some good ones. I am writing you because it sounds like you might have some pull with Crosman, and also it sounds like at least you would reply to my email. You tell me what you think. Following is the letter I sent to Crosman. Have a nice day. John.

Dear Sir/Madame: I am a Mechanical/Electrical Designer by trade, and was wondering if I could make a few suggestions on improving your Benjamin Marauder Pistol.

When I first saw one on the internet I told myself that I had to have one, but as I read more on it I found out they come without iron sights. As light and compact as they are, I thought that as a pistol or carbine they would make a great survival gun. Although being able to put a scope on it is really nice, given the muzzle velocity and the effective killing range, iron sights would be more practical, and a scope would be more optional. While this will not deter me from purchasing one, I would really like to have one with iron sights. As light as the pistol is by its self, I think a lanyard hole in the bottom of the grip is also something that would come in handy. That way a person could do other things, (in the field or where ever), and you wouldn’t have to lay the pistol on down on rough or dirty surfaces to free up your hands. Also, the end of the carbine stock could be added to, or machined down (both top and bottom of the stock) to accept sling swivels and a sling, so the carbine could be shouldered when carried, again freeing up your hands.

I hope you will consider my suggestions as I feel these improvements will make a great air gun even better.
    Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
    John F Kuba

John,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

5. Darrell Vaughan says:

Do you think that 650fps is enothing power for squrell an rabbit out to 35yards that shoot the maruder pistor

Darrell,

Yes, with proper shot placement.

6. Darrell says:

the maruder pistol do all of the have the same sweat spot i been read that the spot on most of then are like 2500psi to like down to1500 and it shoot more fps in that range and it shoot less at 3000psi what cause you tell me about that

Darrell,

The best place to investigate the sweet spot of the Marauder pistol would be on the “Yellow” forum here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

You will need a chronograph to measure the speed of your shots.

7. mike westeen says:

Would the carbine stock for the Marauder fit my Sheidan series H? If so, does anyone know where I could purchase the stock?

Mike,

I don’t know. Maybe another blog reader might have the answer.

8. scott says:

how easily does the carbine stock go on the pistol? Does it just slip on or do you have to use a tool or screwdriver. Im thinking this would be a great pistol to put in my pack with the stock and when no deer activity i could get my limit of squirrels, but i woudlnt want to have to do much assembly to make it happenn.

Scott,

It sips on easily and, if I recall correctly, secures with a couple of screws.