A Happy Surprise – The Webley Alecto

Monday, May 30, 2011

The Alecto comes in a nice foam-lined case.

This week, Dear Reader, I’m going to be telling on myself. When I first pulled the Webley Alecto out of its foam-lined black plastic case, I thought: “Oh cool, another single-stroke pneumatic air pistol.” Little did I know that I had a happy surprise in store.

The Alecto with the right hand grip.

I grabbed the Alecto, a container of Crosman Premier Light (7.9 gr.) .177 pellets, and wandered outside to punch some holes in a paper target at 10 meters. I was happily sending pellet after pellet downrange and enjoying the heck out of the Alecto when it started to sprinkle. So I packed up the gun, pellets, and pellet trap and scooted inside.

Back at my desk, I began wondering whether Airguns of Arizona had the Alecto up on its website yet. I found it at http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/webley.html and was idly scrolling down the page when the following jumped out at me: “Multi-pump Pneumatic Pistol” “1-3 Pumps.”

“HOLY SMOKES!” I thought, “this changes everything.” Right then and there, I decided maybe I should read the manual for this pistol to find out what the deal is. But manual is strangely reticent to reveal that the Alecto is, in fact, a multi-stroke pneumatic pistol. The only place that it is mentioned is in the CAUTION section on page 4. To whit: “If you require extra power, the cocking procedure can be carried out to a maximum of three times. Extra cocking strokes (presumably beyond 3 strokes – JE) will not increase power but will eventually damage the internals of the pistol.” Oh.

Clearly, the good folks at Webley have not truly grokked the significance of what they have created here, so let me lay it out for you. In the past, if you wanted a self-contained air pistol with an excellent trigger, low recoil, and worthy accuracy suitable for high-accuracy plinking or casual club competition, the obvious choice was a single stroke pneumatic pistol like HW75, HW40, FAS 604, or Daisy 747.

If you wanted a self-contained pistol capable of killing small game at very close range, you could choose pistols like the HW45 or RWS LP8 and deal with the recoil of their spring-piston powerplants. Alternatively you could choose a low-recoil pump-up pistol like the Crosman 1377 or the Benjamin HB17 or HB22 and do a lot of pumping to generate sufficient power for dispatching vermin or small game at close range.

But the Webley Alecto, it would appear, offers the promise of the best of both worlds: excellent trigger, low recoil, and excellent power (for a self-contained pistol) at only three pumps. Could it be true? We’ll find out in just a little while, but first let’s take a stroll around the Webley Alecto.

Available in .177 and .22, the Alecto stretches just 11 inches long and weighs 2.4 pounds. Shaped to look like a modern semi-automatic pistol, most of the Alecto is sculpted of a matte black engineering polymer. At the extreme back end of the pistol is a metal notch sight that is adjustable for elevation and windage. Just below the rear sight on either side of the upper cover of the Alecto is a lever. Both of these levers must be pulled upward to release the upper cover for cocking and loading. At the far end of the upper cover, near the muzzle is a blade front sight with a small red dot on it. This blade front sight can be flipped 90 degrees to reveal another front blade of lower height.

The trigger is highly adjustable, shown here with the safety in the "SAFE" position.

Underneath the muzzle, the lower half of the receiver is fitted with a Weaver rail for mounting accessories such as a flashlight or laser. Moving back, the trigger guard is molded of matte black polymer and encloses a silver metal trigger and push-pull automatic safety. The trigger is adjustable for left, right and downward movement; trigger position forward and aft; and trigger spring strength, from just under a pound to about 4 pounds. Moving back again, the Alecto features a match-style grip (available in left or right hand) with an adjustable palm shelf.

The Alecto with the upper cover in the full forward position, reading for loading.

The aft end of the barrel, where the pellet is inserted.

To get the Alecto ready for shooting, pull the levers on either side of the upper cover upward and then swing the aft end of the upper cover up and forward until the cover is completely open. Returning the upper cover to its original position charges the action, cocks the trigger, and activates the automatic safety. You can pump the Alecto up to three times, and the effort becomes stiffer with each successive stroke.  Before you complete the last stroke, insert a pellet into the end of barrel prior to returning the upper cover to its original position.

Now you’re good to go. Take aim at your target, flick the safety off (you can’t help but notice the automatic safety since it blocks the trigger), and squeeze the trigger. At 1 lb. 1.4 oz., the first stage comes out. At 1 lb. 12 oz., the shot goes down range with a pop (The pop gets louder as the Alecto is charged with more pumps). At one pump, the Alecto launches 7.9 grain Crosman .177 Premier pellets at around 365 fps; at 2 pumps, about 480 fps, and at 3 pumps, about 560 fps. At three pumps, that’s very comparable to the power you would get from an HW30 rifle or the RWS LP8 pistol, and a bit more powerful than an HW45 pistol in .177.

It strikes me that the Webley Alecto delivers a whole lot to like in a handsome package: a virtually recoilless pistol suitable for high-precision plinking, casual target competition, or pest control at close range.

Til next time, aim true and shoot straight,

1. Carson says:

Nice review. This would be a nice winter gun for me in my basement. I wish there were more air pistols like this one on the market.

2. Thomas Callaghan says:

I’ve had the Webley Alecto .177 for a few weeks now. I like the accuracy with JSB Match (Green) pellets at one pump for target shooting at 10 meters, and the JSB Express pellets at three pumps for dispatching red squirrels at about 10-15 meters. The gun feels great in my hand. Cocking with three pumps is not a problem for my 68 year old arms. Accuracy in bench rest mode with one or three pumps is phenomenal.

In short, this is a great pistol for both backyard target shooting and vermin dispatch.

Thomas,

Thanks for your comments.

3. Abdiel says:

Use of plastic piston in the pump is pretty crazy, it’s very deceptive. Use of plastic housing for valve assembly, (all advertising media that shows the Alecto or Ultra open shows all metal parts for the pump and valve powerplant). Advertising is quite deceptive. And don’t tell me that any type of plastic is stronger than metal, and don’t tell me it’s carbon fiber, blah, blah … it’s plastic internals and NOT glock grade plastics.

Abdiel,

I am told by informed sources that the external part of the valve that you are concerned about was initially given a shiny metallic-looking coating. In later production runs, they now have dropped the shiny coating, but the base material remains the same as it always was. The Alecto is covered by a one-year warranty so long as you fill out and mail in your registration card within 28 days of purchase.

2. chris says:

I enquired through he Wembley Scott website about what you said that the piston was plastic because they weren’t shiny. I asked if the parts that appeared to be metal were now plastic. And he said no they’re still metal they are just black they were not satisfied with the chrome parts. Do you actually own of Webley alecto with plastic parts inside. I’m getting my Webley alecto ultra today so I can confirm weather its metal or not it certainly appears to be metal in the photo just like the shiny black metal on the barrel

4. mick says:

The Webley Alecto is without doubt a very,very
    Accurate pistol when using jsb exact 8,44 gr 4.51
    .177 cal I find this pellet outstanding at very long range testing out a max of 40,yards.
    there is a 2×20 AGS pistol scope that is a perfect match for this pistol and this scope is made by AGS for webley and has mounts with the scope
    which will fit onto the pistol perfectly this scope is made for the Alecto and will fit straight on out of the box no adjustments are needed apart from zeroing the scope which is excellent and this is great as in the past there has been problems in fitting optics to the Alecto due to the strange top rails on this pistol. some people find the trigger not to there liking however I find it fine with great adjustability..make no mistake the Alecto is very accurate when used with the above pellet and scope at all ranges 25,yard inch size targets are Achieved, great all round pistol for 10,meter novice target shooting and great long range fun shooting I love mine you will not be disappointed with this pistol. you can also get a adaptor to fit a silencer ( surppressor) for the mk3 Alecto which simply screws into the muzzle, and the best silencer for this pistol is the Weihrauch silencer which makes this pistol the most silent on the market just no noise at all.
    kind regards
    Mick.

5. mick says:

Here are some must buy accessories for the
    Webley Alecto

1) best pellet…jsb exact 8,44gr 4.51 .177cal

2) scope 2×20 AGS made for the webley Alecto including mounts to fit onto the Alecto rails no adjustments needed just fit and zero.

3) adaptor to fit a silencer (modulator) you can get this adaptor from..www.airgunner.biz

4) silencer (modulator) best silencer for the webley Alecto is the Weihrauch silencer and makes the Alecto so silent it is just outstanding it will amaze you.and it will not obscure the open sights or scope.

5) my tip is to zero the Alecto at 10,meters (yards) at 1,pump and at 2,pumps it is also zeroed perfectly at 25,meters (yards)

hope this info is some help to you all
    kind regards
    Mick.

1. Bill Grace says:

Thanks to all for the help.