The Hatsan Model 95 Combo

Monday, September 30, 2013
The Hatsan Model 95 is a handsome air rifle.

The Hatsan Model 95 is a handsome air rifle.

Lately I have been testing some inexpensive air rifle/scope combos. The Hatsan 95 Combo is one of those. But before we get into that, let’s back up for a moment and take the 30,000-foot view.

In the online forums, it would appear that some airgunners simply don’t “get” the idea of the price/performance curve. It can be thought of as a graph in which you plot the price of a product on one axis and the performance of the product along the other axis. For almost every single product I can think of, the price/performance curve shows that, in general, you get what you pay for; that is, the more you pay, the more performance you get.  (There are, of course, occasional exceptions, products that provide exceptional performance at a modest price, but these are rarities.)

Another way to look at this concept is in terms of tiers (this is quoted from a recent issue of SHOT Business magazine, if you want to read the whole article, you can see it here: http://shotbusiness.org/the-new-world-of-airguns/ ):

• Tier 1, $20-$200 – These are the pump-up, spring-piston, and CO2 air rifles and pistols you are likely to find in big-box discount retailers and the airguns the public is most likely to know about. Familiar brand names in this category include Crosman, Daisy, Sheridan, and Gamo.
  • Tier 2, $200-$500 – These are the better made pump-up and spring-piston air rifles as well as less expensive PCP airguns that are sometimes carried by independent sporting goods shops. These are, by and large, “legacy” airguns that get passed from generation to generation.  Familiar brands in this tier include Benjamin, BSA, Gamo, RWS, and Weihrauch.
  • Tier 3, $500-$3000 – These are the top echelon, elite performers of the airgun world. Comprised mainly of PCP rifles and pistols, this category also includes very high end spring-piston rifles. These airguns that will have the guys at the gun club drooling with envy, especially when your airgun customers outshoot them. Familiar brands in this tier include Air Arms, Air Force, Anschutz, Benjamin, Brocock, BSA, Daystate, FWB, FX, RWS, and Weihrauch.

Bear in mind that these tiers are generalities, designed to help independent gun dealers get their heads around why they should carry airguns, but typically in Tiers 2 and 3, you can expect very good to outstanding quality, and you can expect to pay commensurately for the privilege.

The Hatsan 95 features a Turkish walnut stock and a gold colored metal trigger.

The Hatsan 95 features a Turkish walnut stock and a gold colored metal trigger.

Tier 1, however, is much more of a mixed bag, and it’s in Tier 1 that we find the Hatsan Model 95. Available in three calibers (.177, .22, and .25), this is a single-shot spring piston air rifle that stretches 44.3 inches from end to end and weighs 9 lbs. 1 oz. with the scope that comes as part of the combo attached.  I tested the .177 version. Two things struck my eye when I pulled the Model 95 out of the box: the Turkish walnut stock and the gold-colored metal trigger. The result is a very nice looking air rifle.

The butt pad is a soft rubber-like material.

The butt pad is a soft rubber-like material.

At the back end of the Model 95 is a soft rubber butt pad which is attached to an ambidextrous walnut stock. The modestly-slanted pistol grip has checkering on either side. Forward of that, a black trigger guard surrounds the trigger. Moving forward again, the forestock is checkered on either side, and underneath you’ll find a slot to provide clearance for the break barrel cocking linkage.

The polymer muzzle brake serves as a mount for the fiber optic front sight.

The polymer muzzle brake serves as a mount for the fiber optic front sight.

At the muzzle end of the barrel is a molded polymer muzzle brake which also serves as a mount for the red fiber optic front sight. Moving aft, you’ll find a green fiber optic micro adjustable rear sight on top of the breech block. Moving back again, the receiver has dovetails to allow mounting a scope, and near the aft end of the dovetails is a metallic scope stop that prevents the scope from moving backward along the scope rail when the shot goes off. Finally, at the extreme aft end of the receiver is a push-pull type safety. Other than the 3-9 x 32 non-adjustable-objective scope, that’s all there is to the Model 95.

To get the Model 95 ready to for shooting, grab the muzzle break and pull it down and back until the cocking mechanism latches. I estimate this takes a bit over 30 lbs of effort. Next, insert a pellet into the breech and return the barrel to its original position. Take aim, click off the safety, and squeeze the trigger. At 1 lb. 3.3 oz. the first stage comes out of the trigger, at 4 lb. 14.2 oz., the shot goes down range. The Model 95 launches 7 grain hobby pellets at 995 fps for 15.4 fp of energy at the muzzle.

The report is typical for a springer of this power, and the powerplant generates some vibration, but it is more heard than felt by the shooter. Hatsan says that the Model 95 is equipped with something called the Shock Absorber System, but I was unable to find out more about this system from the factory website. While it does not make the Model 95 recoilless, it certainly is not an unpleasant springer to shoot.

The Model 95 Combo, though, it not without problems. The scope and its mounts are basically junk. I had two scope mounts fail while testing the Model 95 (www.airgunsofarizona.com sent me replacements), but that is not the crucial problem. The scope, being non-adjustable-objective, cannot be focused. At 3 power, I could not see clearly at 13 yards, at 9 power, I could not see clearly at 20 yards. This made accuracy testing extremely problematic. I might have been the victim of unit-to-unit variation, but the scope that came with this sample was – flatly – useless. I would recommend either mounting a better scope or going the simple route and use the fiber optic open sights that come with the Model 95. (For the record, the good folks at Airguns of Arizona recommended to Hatsan that they either include a decent scope in the combo or don’t include a scope at all.)

I mounted a good scope – a Vortex – and tested the Model 95 for accuracy. Eventually, I was able to achieve at 5-shot group, shot with JSB Express pellets, at 32 yards that measured 1.1875 inch from edge to edge. That’s just a hair over 1 inch CTC. Now while that is hardly superb accuracy for a springer at that range, it is certainly sufficient for clearing the garden of pests at 100 feet.

In the end, the Hatsan 95 is a decidedly mixed bag. The scope and mounts are dreadful. The rifle itself, however, is nice looking and pleasant to shoot. The accuracy is not stellar but sufficient for plinking and pest control in the back yard at modest ranges. I’ve heard rumors that the .22 version is more accurate than the .177. Perhaps I’ll have the opportunity to test one in the future.

-          Jock Elliott

m4s0n501

1. Miguel says:

Great review for us under-$200 airgunners

Supposedly, what makes the Hatsan 95 unique in the under $200 airgun category is the quality of its trigger. Hatsan claims that the Quattro is a genuine 2-stage adjustable trigger, both for length of travel and pull weight. Did you attempt to adjust the trigger to your preference? Also, how would you rate the Quattro compared to RWS’s T05/06 trigger, or Gamo’s newly introduced Smooth Action trigger? Replacing the triggers on most under-$200 air rifles with $30 GTX or GRT-3 triggers is getting very frustrating to say the least!

Thanks, Miguel

2. Walton says:

Hi, Jock!

I read your article with interest on the Hatsan Model 95. I just bought a Hatsan 85 Sniper in .22, and I can attest to the fact that the trigger, thank God, is VERY adjustable to one’s liking. While it does not have the crispness of the RWS T06 (which most people consider to be very light), it does remind RWS and Gamo to be on the top of their game or they will get left behind.

By the way, Miquel’s right. I’m also a sub-$200 airgunner, and unless one has a background in tinkering with airgun triggers, replacing a trigger can get very hairy, especially when safety comes first! I have cerebral palsy, and I do not want to always have to pay more for a decent trigger when I shouldn’t have to.

3. greg says:

Just a note about the 3-9 bundled scope (I have a mod 85, but I think the scope is the same)….While this is not considered an AO scope, the objective IS in fact adjustable. Remove the retainer ring on the end of the scope and the give you access to the objective lens. You can then turn it in it’s thread to focus it at different distances… it will focus all the way down to 5 yards or less. Once you have that dialed into your preferred distance, it works fine, it’s just not as convenient as an AO.

4. Reyes95 says:

Hi, I also have a Hatsan 95 but in .22 the rifle is awesome and deserves a better scope. With a 4-16-40 scope and trigger adjusted I get .25-.35 @ 25yds and 1-1.25 @ 70yds. I love it and it has power to back it up mine is @ 18.59fpe with Jsb 15.89. Thanks and Stay Safe!!!

Reyes95,

Thanks for your comment!

5. Henry Danforth says:

I am new to this sport and am in the market for an inexpensive air rifle. I have decided on the Hatsan 95 because of price and features. I was not at all impressed with the general under $200 offerings. The reviews of almost all rifles in this category were critical of the triggers to the point of my wondering why the manufacturers can’t see this failure of their products. I would think that improved triggers on their products would result in more of their products being sold. As I continued to see more and more bad reviews, it made me want to reconsider the purchase of an entry air gun. I looked at higher tier products but could not justify the cost for a beginner. It appears to me that the air gun manufacturing community does not want to cater to the lower cost/entry market. I believe a solution to the trigger problem could be had at very minimal cost. If this problem were solved, air gun manufacturers would be showing a concern for what people care about and be more competitive in the under $200 market.

6. Dave says:

I have the Hatsan 95 Vortex gas piston in .22 caliber. You are right about the scope and mounts, total junk. I replaced the scope and use it only on 4x its an air gun, why do you need anything more. I could have spent more money but this mod 95 is a very powerful gun for the price. The nice stock is a plus, but when I shot at a penny taped to a 1/2 inch piece of plywood and it blew threw the penny and cracked it out to the edge 3 ways and the pellet still went clean threw the plywood at 12 yards, I was blown away.. This was more gun than the $199.99 I spent for it. Sometimes you get more than you paid for, I believe the Hatsan 95 Vortex is one of those rare diamonds in the rough. I have this .22 sighted in at 100 feet with JSB 15.89 gr pellets, just perfect for an old guy. I would have really liked a Daystate Huntsman but for that price I use this Hatsan 95 for the dog and I to get some much needed exercise before the Bird season starts & Deer and Elk season gets under way here in Oregon.. So far its a real Ringneck Dove killer..

Dave,

Thanks for your comments. I am no fan of the growing trend of packaging decent guns with crummy scopes.

7. Vicente from Barranquilla says:

I have a Gamo Big Cat .22 that only average 680 FPS wit 14.3 and 725 FPS with 12.65 pellets.I want something more powerfull but without a high cooking effort or a too heavy rifle; and I think the Hatsan 95 Spring powered is the gun. I also belive that after a while, the cocking effort of the spring version will fall a bit. Your advise will be very helpfull. Thanks a lot. Vicente.

Vicente,

I suggest talking to the good folks at http://www.airgunsofarizona.com about yur needs.

8. gaz p. says:

Hatsun 95 .22 disappointed. Got it new from pyramidair. The breech seal is completely flat. The lock up , I can see daylight on left hand side of breech. Perfect on right hand side. Called pyramidair and asked for a new breechseal and was told no spare parts available but would be happy to have the gun returned and give a new one. I am stuck with a very handsome paperweight unless I want to spend $60 in postage. WHAT TO DO?

Gaz,

This is an issue between you and the folks you bought it from, but I don’t think shipping costs will be that high.

1. Gas p. says:

Hi jock,thank you for reply .i can’t fit correctly any pellets in Breach. The only pellet i can sit allmost correctly is the soft lead. Daisy. Wadcuter. I have read this not unusual hatsan 95. Vortex .22.my fault for not getting the. 10/10.i have loved air guns for 50 yrs.my ar was a milbro g26. I am not a tinkerer. I wish I was.

9. gaz p. says:

That is Gaz p. above. Hit a wrong key.

10. Gaz p. says:

Hi Jock. Please ignore above. Typo. I cannot get any pellet to sit in the breech correctly. The only pellet I can almost fit is the soft lead daisy flat nosed. I’ve read this is not unusual for the hatsan 95 vortex. One suggested I get a drummel tool. I am not a tinkerer. Wish I was.i have loved AR for almost 50 years. My first AR was a millbro g26. Thank you.

11. Gaz p. says:

Hi jock. I bought a dremel kit. I guess I am a tinkerer. I will polish the breech seat. Let you know if I have success or a .23 cal paperweight.