Umarex Colt SAA CO2 BB airgun

Monday, July 20, 2015
Umarex Colt .45?...Let's skeedadle!!!

Umarex Colt .45?…Let’s skeedadle!!!

Having a problem with empty soda can desperados? Have BB gun – Will travel.  Wire Gordon; Denver.

For those of you too young to make a connection to the “Have gun – Will travel” reference, it comes from the opening of a weekly horse opera of the same name.  The show aired on CBS from 1957 through 1963 and starred Richard Boone as the title character, Paladin.  Paladin was a gun for hire and that gun was his trusty Colt Single Action Army.  The new Umarex Colt SAA would look right at home in Paladin’s fancy black holster with the silver knight chess piece embellishment.  Flat out – this is one well designed and awesome replica!  When I first laid eyes on it at the SHOT Show, I had to have one.  The size and weight are very close to the original and the operation is identical to the Colt SAA, right down to the individual cartridges that the shooter loads with a single BB and then places into the cylinder through the loading gate on the right side of the revolver.  CO2 cartridges fit under the left grip panel which contains a really nice design feature of a permanently mounted hex key for turning the piercing screw.  No more misplaced hex keys!

They currently come in 2 flavors: a nickel-like finish with faux ivory grips and a “blued” finish, also with the ivory grips.  The 4 ¾” barrel has an enclosed ejector rod underneath that is used just like on the original powder burner.  The smooth bore BB barrel ends about ¾’ from the muzzle and Umarex saw fit to put “rifling” into that last ¾’ to add even more realism.  The individual metal cartridges are a nice touch as well, but do make it a bit tedious to load, so you may want to order up extra cartridges from www.airgunsofarizona.com for quicker reloads.

_07_19_15_007_

A most handsome tribute to Col. Colt’s invention

I like everything about this licensed replica and it would make a fantastic training tool to introduce a new shooter to proper safety/loading of single action revolvers.  The action is so smooth and easy to cock and there is even a half-cock position of the hammer for loading and unloading that blocks the trigger, just like the original.  To meet modern liability requirements, there is also a manual safety located on the bottom of the frame in front of the trigger guard.  It is a very unobtrusive sliding switch that locks the trigger movement and doesn’t spoil the lines of the gun.  The left side of the frame carries the original Colt markings and the right side has the obligatory warnings and safety messages seen on all airguns plus a unique serial number.

In a side-by-side comparison with a real Colt SAA, about the only telltale giveaway on the Taiwanese made replica would be that the hammer does not fully seat into the recoil shield when uncocked.  It is a minor thing and takes nothing away from this fantastic replica in my opinion.

The approximately 400fps velocity produced by this revolver is plenty for decimating those no-good, low-down soda can desperados as well as any other plinking targets you can come up with.  As a backyard shooter this gun is second-to-none, right down to the fact that you could line up six targets and take ‘em out like Clint Eastwood in “Hang ‘Em High” by holding the trigger down and fanning the hammer.

If you appreciate fine firearm replicas like I do and have a hankerin’ to practice the art of fast draw, or just want a really fun plinking gun, connect with the folks at Airguns of Arizona and they can fix you up pardner.  Umarex has a pretty extensive line up of realistic firearm replicas as well as their own brand of BBs and CO2 and in the near future I’ll showcase another of their historic guns.  Until then, I’ll just saddle up my old stick pony and ride off into that sunset.  Take care y’all.

1. vance d. says:

I paste pictures of Reid, Pelosi and Hillary 🙂

2. Kentucky Hombre says:

could someone tell me why the hammer will is not fully seated when not cocked? I think it takes away from authenticity…no one can seem to answer this question….

1. Gordon Smith says:

Hey Kentucky Hombre, the answer to your question is twofold. First, if the hammer closed completely in the frame it would rest on the valve and possibly cause leakage of the CO2. The second, more important reason for the slight set back of the hammer is to meet Umarex’s stringent drop test requirements. Based on feedback I received from Umarex USA, the position of the hammer at rest has not slowed the sales of the model one bit.

Thanks for reaching out with your question.
      -Gordon

3. colin says:

I have the ltd marshall saa .177 bb ., i have now converted it to shoot .22 pellets , i made a new barrel and reamed out the brass cartridges to 5.5 mm, the barrel is rifled and the gun now shoots amazing.

4. Huck Mucus says:

I wonder how they conclude that hammer set-back has not hurt sales one bit? It would be an interesting poll. Speaking for myself, that’s the only reason I haven’t bought one and I suspect there are some others. Just don’t know how they’d find us.

1. Gordon Smith says:

Hey Huck, Umarex probably didn’t have much choice in the matter as they had to figure a way that the Peacemaker could pass required drop tests. It probably has caused a few like yourself to pass on owning one of these, however, for the price point and fun factor of the Peacemaker most folks interested in replica guns of the Old West can overlook a few flaws. You have to admit, it is a lot closer to the original than any BB or pellet gun that has come before it with the possible exception of Saxby-Palmer/Brocock self-contained air cartridge guns made more than two decades ago. They were expensive and mostly sold in Europe until a change to the UK’s draconian gun laws made these guns prohibited weapons. Brocock closed its doors soon after the law became effective. The Brocock airguns available today are descendants from a resurrection of the original company of Brocock Limited of Birmingham.
      -Gordon

5. Huck says:

Oh, it’s a fine looking gun but I’ve got the strange eye of a stickler. I don’t know why I’d let such a minor detail bug me but it does. I never heard of the UK gun but will now go educate myself. Thanks.

6. Huck says:

I just read a story about the Brocock. Sad, sad, sad. Makes me glad I’m American. They had some great looking guns, including what looks like a Colt 1860 Army. Anyway, thanks for the input and education.